Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Wychwood Brewery Hobgoblin Dark English Ale


Tonight I chose an import to accompany my dinner - Wychwood Brewery's Hobgoblin Dark English Ale. Wychwood is in Witney, Oxfordshire, England, which has a brewing tradition dating back to the mid-1800's. Hobgoblin is approximately the same color as root beer, with a sizeable cream-colored head. The aroma is mostly toffee and malt. The beer is fruity, and malty with flavors of toffee and raisins. As it warmed up, the sweet toffee became even more evident. It had some hop bitterness and alcohol in the finish. I'm a big fan of malty beers like this, so Hobgoblin was a good choice tonight.

3 comments:

ccmerwin said...

Al,

You are doing an outstanding job with this. I am uncertain how I even came across this blog, but am greatly enjoying it. I look forward to checking in regularly!

Chad

Al said...

Chad,

Thanks so much for your comment! I'm glad you're enjoying the blog. It gives me an outlet to share my enjoyment of beer and homebrewing. Thanks again!

Al

Unknown said...

I have tried this ale in the past and I wasn't overly impressed with it, which is a shame because they do a nice bottled cider called green goblin I think. I mainly buy my ale online from the The Drink Shop who sell some really nice beers and there is a much better choice than what I can buy locally.