Sunday, September 21, 2008

Today's a Brew Day! Vanilla Bean Porter!

It's been too long since I last brewed, and I'm late for getting my Halloween beer done, but I think I'll be just in time for Thanksgiving with the beer I brewed today. It's a Vanilla Bean Porter using real vanilla beans rather than extract. I'll post the recipe when it's all finished - just in case it's undrinkable. I'd hate to have someone follow my recipe only to discover the beer is terrible. I don't expect that to happen, but I'm just being cautious. Here's a pic of it boiling away in the pot.

I decided to soak the vanilla beans in some Jim Beam bourbon, to help "extract" the vanilla flavor. I think the bourbon will give the beer an extra-interesting little kick too. I put the bourbon in with the vanilla beans, and it's amazing how powerful the vanilla aroma is after a couple of hours of soaking.


I'm really looking forward to this recipe. I originally planned to make a Butternut squash Porter for Thanksgiving, but I got lazy. Thinking about having to cut it up, boil it, and then adding it to the wort convinced me to re-think my plans. I've been wanting to make a vanilla-infused brew for a while, so this was the perfect time.

My Apricot Witbier is carbonating now, so I'll be reporting on that in the near future. I'll be popping the cap on the first one next weekend. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am thinking of adding a 1/2 cup of bourbon to two vannila beans and then add that to secondary. I was wondering if it would be ok to bottle in two days or will it take a while to ferment the alcohol.

thanks