Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Saranac Black & Tan


I decided on another Saranac beer tonight, from the variety pack my sister brought to me a few weeks back. This time, it's their Black & Tan, which is billed as a combination of Stout and Lager. I like Black and Tans when they're poured in a pub, but they definitely lose something when they're poured from a bottle. Maybe it's that whole multi-layered thing you get at a bar, or the creamy texture that draft beer has, but I think it's more than that. A Black & Tan just doesn't translate very well into a bottled beer. Saranac's was OK, I could taste the roasted malt flavor from the stout, but it just seemed lackluster. This is not peculiar to Saranac either, because I felt the same way about the Yuengling version I tried a while back. I think I'm going to look for a black & tan spoon so I can make my own, and see if it would be better.

No comments: