Saturday, March 1, 2008

Homebrew Spicy Holiday Ale - Definitely a Winter Warmer


Today I'm presenting one of my favorite homebrews. It was an experiment in creating a high alcohol beer that tastes great. I think it was a great success! I brew in small 2.5 gallon batches, so I can have more variety to drink. My Winter Warmer turned out spicy, and malty, and just a little sweet. This is a great beer for after dinner, when you're not going to drive anywhere. Here's the recipe for 2.5 gallons:
3.3 lbs Briess Golden Light Liquid Malt Extract
16 Oz Pure Maple Syrup (Not that bogus stuff)
8 Oz Special B Malt
4 Oz Gambrinus Honey Malt
8 Oz Extra Light DME
8 Oz Dried Pitted Dates
1/2 Oz Dried Sweet Orange Peel
1/2 Oz Cinnamon
1/2 Oz Crushed Cardamom
1 Oz Liberty Hops for bittering
3/4 Oz Willamette Hops for Flavoring
Fermentis Safbrew T-58 Yeast
This brew came out with a nice creamy head, as you can see in the photo. I steeped the grains until they hit 170 degrees, then pulled the grains and started the boil. When the wort started boiling, I added the Liberty hops, the malt extracts, and the dates. 45 minutes later, I added the Willamettes, and the spices, and boiled for another 15 minutes. This brew was ACTIVE in the fermenter for 3 weeks! I have no idea what the abv is, but it's pretty strong. Oh yeah, almost forgot - I primed it with Maple syrup for carbonating in the bottle. In my book, this was a winner!

1 comment:

Scott said...

did you add the maple syrup to the boil or just use for priming?