Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Coney Island Freaktoberfest from Shmaltz Brewing

I picked this bottle up at Whole Foods a few weeks ago and haven't tried it til now since it was a 22 oz bottle. When I poured this, I was shocked to see it pour PINK! The head looked like cotton candy. I don't know what they used to give it the shocking pink color, but it didn't detract from the beer. This is some GOOD beer! The pink head lasted a good while, and the beer was very flavorful. There's a ton of malt in here, expertly offset by a generous batch of piney hops. There's plenty of toffee flavor and a nice bitter finish. I am really impressed with Shmaltz Brewing. They are also the makers of the "He'Brew" line of beers.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Al. This is Zak from Shmaltz Brewing Company. Just wanted to say thanks for all the love. I'm really glad you enjoyed the Freaktoberfest. We had a blast with it. We released it for Halloween, so in addition to it's blood-red color, it's also boasting a 6.66% abv. We colored it with nothing but the most organic, free-range, zombie blood. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. Cheers!

Al said...

Zak, I love it when brewers chime in on my blog! The Freaktoberfest was excellent. I definitely noticed the 6.6% abv, after finishing the bottle by myself. I have two more bottles of Shmaltz He'Brew ales in the fridge. I'm looking forward to checking them out. Thanks for your comment, and thanks for making some tasty beers!